The Retry Logic is only executed once per transaction. For clients who handle subscriptions themselves, the Retry Logic is available on request. For more information, contact Client Experience.
If the credit card on file is correct but the payment cannot be processed, then the customer's credit card limit may have been exceeded. The Retry Logic is used to reattempt processing the payment after a defined number of days. This tool can be used with any renewal emails/in-appIn-app refers to services and features that are available from within a software application, usually in a mobile phone app. messaging. The procedure involves several steps:
cleverbridge analyzes the return codes in the payment provider’s response for the unsuccessful billing attempt. In case of a hard decline, such as an expired or invalid card, no retry attempt is made. Soft declines are often the result of a temporary issue, such as an exceeded credit card limit. Another billing attempt can be made.
By default, the retry is scheduled for a date five days after the unsuccessful billing attempt. This time span can be configured. A history entry is made, which you can view in the History section of the Purchase viewer.
The cleverbridge platform automatically sends an email to the customer of the type Subscription > Retry payment notification. It informs the customer that payment for a subscription failed and that payment will be retried in n days. This email can be deactivated.
Before a new billing attempt is made, several scenarios are checked to identify possible changes in the subscription:
- If the customer has canceled the subscription or successfully made another payment attempt on his own, the credit card is not charged.
- If the customer has changed his payment details, no retry is made using the old data.
- If the original transaction is not considered valid for a retry attempt anymore, no other payment attempt is made.
When the scheduled retry date is reached, the Retry Logic is executed.
- If the billing attempt is successful, the subscription for the product is renewed. The cleverbridge platform automatically sends an email to the customer of the type Invoice (receipt). It informs the customer that payment for his subscription was successful.
- If the billing attempt is not successful, the subscription is put on hold. The cleverbridge platform automatically sends an email to the customer of the type Subscription > On hold notification. It informs the customer that the subscription has been deactivated because payment failed.
A history entry is made, which you can view in the history section of the Purchase viewer.