The cleverbridge platform supports different ways to renew subscriptions. The components of the cleverbridge platform that support renewals, along with the renewal-related use cases that they support, are identified below.
NoteWhen setting up a subscription product in the Commerce Assistant, the default renewal setting is auto-renewal. Under auto-renewal, a customer’s subscription is renewed automatically by the cleverbridge platform, unless a customer takes action to cancel it. Most of the use cases discussed here, which involve a subscription renewal, assume auto-renewal.
Change the status of a customer's subscription to Awaiting Reinstate. For more information, see Set Up Subscription Products
NoteYou are legally required to have the consent of the customer when increasing the price of a running subscription. This can be done by using the same client-hosted page that displays the increased renewal price that will take effect at the next renewal date.
- Increase the customer's subscription renewal price. For more information, see Use Case: Capture Customer Consent for a Subscription Renewal Price Increase.
- Change the subscription renewal quantity for a customer. For more information, see Use Case: Change Subscription Renewal Quantity.
- Customize the subscription renewal price for a customer. For more information, see Use Case: Customize Subscription Renewal Price.
- Customize a subscription's renewal price and quantity for a customer. For more information, see Use Case: Customize Subscription Renewal Price and Quantity.
- Apply a tiered or volume-based price change with a quantity change effective with the next renewal. For more information, see Use Case: Make Renewal Quantity and Quantity-based Price Changes.
- Show the customer a message in the My Account asking him to renew the subscription now. For more information, see Use Case: Renew a Manual-Renewal Subscription Ahead of Schedule.
NoteThis is an optional feature that uses Message Direct.
For manual-renewal subscriptions (all payment methods), email the customer with a payment reminder before every billing date, and include a link to renew the subscription and bill the payment method.
NoteThese are database settings at the client account level. They are maintained by the cleverbridge development team. For more information, contact Client Experience.
Payment Reminder for Auto-Renewal Subscriptions: This setting controls whether customers who purchased an auto-renewal subscription using an online payment method receive a notification, before the renewal date, that a credit/debit card will be charged. The default is not to send it because the customer consented to recurring billing in the checkout process.
Deactivate/Reactivate Automatic Billing for a Subscription Product: Auto-renewal is a default setting for subscription products. If you want to set up products with manual renewal (using the status Awaiting Reinstate), you must request this capability. This can only be set at a product level and only applies to interval 0 of the subscription. Once active, the subscription cannot go back to the status Awaiting Reinstate.
When setting up a product that begins with the status Awaiting Reinstate, you can choose to show or hide the "I Agree" checkbox in the checkout process.
- Hiding the "I Agree" checkbox means that all subscriptions will be set to manual renewal (Awaiting Reinstate) at the time of purchase.
- Displaying the "I Agree" checkbox requires the customer to check it, which sets the customer's subscription to a status of Active, which means that it will renew automatically.
- You can later decide to show the "I Agree" checkbox if it is hidden, or hide it if it is shown.
Set All Subscriptions to the Manual-Renewal Type: This setting assigns a manual renewal type to all subscriptions created with an offline payment method even if the customer confirms automatic renewal during signup. This can be useful if you want to send subscription renewal reminders as part of an email campaign and not through the cleverbridge platform.